2006-03-26

python cartography

This picture of the celestial sphere (below) may look familiar, but it is brand new: It is the output of my first-ever Python program. I even use (for the first time in my life) object-oriented features. I spent quite a bit of time on planes, trains, and hotel rooms working on this. The only connection this has to my research is that I plan to start working in Python from here on, if possible.

My astute readers will notice Orion there near the meridian (the NYC horizon is shown as a thick great circle). My very astute readers will notice that this is a perspective projection of the sphere, not orthogonal (or orthographic).

1 comment:

  1. And your marginally astute readers will notice that our planet appears to be at the center of a gigantic Kritter Krawler.

    ReplyDelete