2006-09-13

gas fractions in clusters, image test-bed

I started to put together the image test-bed for the astrometry.net pre-alpha testing. I will be contacting the alpha users (no doubt my most loyal readers) soon for example images.

At coffee we discussed a recent paper on cluster gas fractions which claims that x-ray observations of clusters were in (weak) disagreement with WMAP results on cosmological parameters. The odd thing is, they find that the discrepancy is a strong function of the radius at which you do the measurement, and that the discrepancy gets small at large radius; perhaps there is no discrepancy at all when extrapolated to the cosmic mean density?

1 comment:

  1. I had correspondence with the authors, and they say that there are good physical arguments it can't vary much with radius.

    Of course my position is that such variation is observed!

    ReplyDelete