2018-08-23

best constraints on disk dynamics ever

In my Chemical-Tangents project (working title only), I am modeling the abundance distribution as a function of dynamical actions to determine the shapes of the orbits in phase space, or, equivalently, the force law or the density distribution or the potential. I have parameters for the force law but also for the abundances and their variation. I spent the morning figuring out how to marginalized out those abundance parameters, which are nuisances (for my purposes). I got it working; much of it is even analytic (so I only have to do one numerical integral per element ratio).

I then ran on everything, and I find that I have the best constraints on the Milky Way disk dynamics, ever! That is, on the kinematic location of the midplane, the scale height of the mass distribution, and the central or mean density. I am pretty stoked: Each abundance ratio individually gives good constraints on these parameters, and their combination will be exceedingly constraining. So I am pretty confident that I have a great project. My next job is to put this all into a sampler (like emcee, which is good for low-dimensional problems) and sample it.

No comments:

Post a Comment