2018-09-24

writing; not ready for TESS

I got some actual writing time in today! I worked on places in the Birky (UCSD) paper (on M-dwarf spectral models) where Birky had left me notes marked "HOGG". That's a great tool: She leaves "HOGG" notes; I search for them in my text editor, and I make the relevant changes or add the relevant text.

Late in the day I had a great conversation with Ben Pope (NYU) about things we can do right now or very soon with TESS artificial data or the first data release of full-frame images. We talked about dimensionality reduction methods, like the robust
PCA methods from Candès and related methods that use convex optimization. We also talked about independent components analysis. In general, when the first data arrive, there will be lots of low-hanging fruit. We also discussed what could be done in advance, with the available artificial data.

No comments:

Post a Comment