2018-10-14

machine learning; finishing a paper

I worked a bit of the weekend. I had a great conversation with Francois Lanusse (Berkeley) about the uses and abuses of machine learning in astrophysics. We agreed on most things. He sang the praises of some of the newly available cloud services that do machine learning for you. We discussed some pie-in-sky projects.

Months ago, I promised Christina Eilers (MPIA) that when she finished her paper on her Jeans model of the Milky Way disk, I would finish my paper on spectrophotometric parallax (or distance) estimates. Well, today she finished her paper! So I went into panic mode and by the end of the day I was nearly finished. Nearly. I must get up early and finish tomorrow. If I really do finish it, it will be a rare and special thing: A first-author paper! I only write one of those every two or three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment