2020-01-08

#AAS235, day 4 and #hackaas

Today was Hack Together Day #hackaas at #AAS235. We computed that this is the eighth winter AAS meeting to have a hack day, making it (AAS Hack Together Day) one of my scientific accomplishments of the decade. At the hack day, the main thing I did was hack on hack day, working with Jim Davenport (UW) to brainstorm things we can do to keep the event fresh, and keep us experimenting with it. I also had a great conversation with Brigitta Sipocz, Geert Barentsen, and others about ways we can use our hacking and design thinking to support a reduction in CO2 emissions by astronomers and academics in general. Related to my conversations of yesterday.

But many great things happened in the Hack Together Day. Too many to list here. Look at the wrap-up slides to get a sense of the range and depth of the projects. So many people learned a lot and did a lot. I'm proud, which is a sin, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment