2021-06-23

issues with SDSS-IV APOGEE data

I'm proud of my new undergraduate researcher Katherine Alsfelder (NYU). She has been working with me to understand the differences between the North (Apache Point Observatory) and South (Las Campanas Observatory) spectrographs used in the APOGEE-2 survey in SDSS-IV. We chose one fiber in the North spectrograph to compare with one fiber in the South spectrograph (just to get started). She noticed some discrepancies in the data model: Some of the data have inconsistent telescope IDs in different files. We sent an example we couldn't figure out to Mike Blanton (NYU) and he pointed out that a star at a Dec of -70 deg can't be observed with the Apache Point Observatory 2.5m! Haha well I guess that one was easy. But anyway, I'm happy because it shows the value of being careful in the reading and vetting of data, especially housekeeping data. And we developed a work-around.

No comments:

Post a Comment