2022-09-22

Dagstuhl, day 4

Today was day 4 of Machine Learning for Science: Bridging Data-driven and Mechanistic Modeling at Schloss Dagstuhl.

I spoke today, about passive symmetries and the constraints on machine-learning models they imply. My talk was totally new for me, and based on conversations between Villar, Schölkopf, and me during the meeting. That was fun. So now I have a new way of talking about all this stuff, and the three of us are trying to write a short paper about it.

Among the talks today, one idea I really liked is the idea, from Carl Henrik Ek, that trust and interpretability might be strongly related. Indeed, when I talk about interpretability, it is often in the same context that I am talking about models that make sense to a physicist, which are, in turn, models that I would trust. And that is also very related to what I myself talked about today: If models look more like physical law, then they are much more trustworthy. And maybe also more interptetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment