2024-03-10

APOGEE spectra as a training set

I spent a lot of the day building a training set for a machine-learning problem set. I am building the training set out of the SDSS-V APOGEE spectra, which are like one-dimensional images for training CNNs and other kinds of deep learning tasks. I wanted relatively raw data, so I spent a lot of time going deep in the SDSS-V data model and data directories, which are beautiful. I learned a lot, and I created a public data set. I chose stars in a temperature and log-gravity range in which I think the APOGEE pipelines work well and the learning problem should work. I didn't clean the data, because I am hoping that contemporary deep learning methods should be able to find and deal with outliers and data issues. If you want to look at my training set (or do my problem set), start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment