2006-04-28

Princeton

I gave the Princeton Gravity Group talk today, about galaxy merger rates as observed in the nearby Universe.

Afterwards, I talked to Padmanabhan and Finkbeiner about SDSS-III, PANSTARRS, PRIMUS, and other big, new survey ideas. Finkbeiner argued that we should forget all that and look for direct evidence for dark matter (by annihilation to gamma rays or any other means available). Padmanabhan was skeptical.

I spoke with Strauss and Ho about high-redshift post-starburst galaxies found in the quasar target selection sample. It looks like there are enough (hundreds out to redshift 0.8 or so!) that we can ask about evolution and environments, in comparison with Quintero's sample.

I spoke with Gunn about the nascent galaxy atlas with his name on it. We are a long way off, but Blanton and I have made huge progress in the last few weeks.

Hester and I continued our discussion of ram-pressure stripping and how the observations in the optical speak to that.

3 comments:

  1. And you made it to the frontpage of slashdot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but I only put notable things on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    David,
    I think the suggestion about finding direct evidence for dark matter is really important especially since we don't have any clue
    as to what dark matter is inspite of the
    fact that it is almost 30 year old problem.

    ReplyDelete