2018-11-23

bits of non-traditional scientific writing.

I spent my research time today working in various long-term writing projects. I wrote a summary of all the things we could or should be doing to improve extreme-precision radial-velocity measurements from the software side. It is a long list! I sent it to various friendlies for comment; I am trying to prioritize my work in this area.

I also edited some documents in which I am brain-storming ideas about 2020 Decadal-Survey white papers. There are science white papers due in January and more project-specific ones due later in the year. On science, I am kicking the tires on something about binary star populations, since they cut across almost all areas of astrophysics. On projects, I am thinking about things involving the (otherwise moth-balled) LSST hardware and also EPRV spectrographs.

And I worked out a strategy for making very challenging (adversarial, almost) time-variable spectroscopy data, and a strategy for beating it in a data analysis. This is a great unsolved problem in astronomical data analysis: Precision radial-velocity measurement in the face of spectral variability!

No comments:

Post a Comment