2018-11-12

R-M effect; failure

The day started with a great discussion with Luger (Flatiron) and Bedell (Flatiron) about the Rossiter–McLaughlin effect, which is the apparent velocity shift as a planet transits a rotating star. We discussed how this effect really is different from a radial-velocity shift; it is a line-shape change, and how we might model that within an extension to the wobble framework. That's a great idea and possibly an important contribution. The R–M effect has been important in exoplanets.

Late in the day, I experienced complete failure to produce a grant proposal. It was effectively due late last week, so I really had to produce today, but under the gun I failed. That was a hard blow! I love my job, but sometimes I find it to be difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment