2019-04-08

student projects; 2-pt function estimators

Most of my research time over the weekend and today was taken up reading proposals for a funding review. That doesn't count as research, by my Rules. I don't love that part of my job. But I did get in some time with students, reading thesis chapters by Malz (NYU), planning two papers with Storey-Fisher (NYU), and discussing graduate school options with Birky (UCSB). I love these parts of my job!

In the conversation with Storey-Fisher, we set the minimal (though still very large) scope for a paper that competes or tests large-scale structure correlation-function estimators in realistic and toy data. Our issues are: We have identified biases in the standard estimators, and we (additionally) don't love the tests or arguments that say that Landy–Szalay is optimal. So we want to test them again, and also add some new estimators, from the math literature on point processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment