2020-03-24

asteroseismology from the ground

By phone I discussed with Ana Bonaca (Harvard) this paper by Auge et al, which (very sensibly) looks at the possibility of doing asteroseismology from the ground. My loyal reader knows that this is something I have been thinking about for a long time (I think it is mentioned in the shouty slide deck linked to from this old blog post), and Bonaca has too. Auge et al show that they can get nu-max from the ground for very luminous (and hence large, and hence large-amplitude-oscillating, and hence long-period) giant stars. Can they also get delta-nu? They say that it is rarely possible. But their tool is something like a Fourier transform followed by searching for peaks. If your main goal was to determine delta-nu, this would not be the tool of choice, I think. Not that I have a tool ready! Bonaca and I resolved to take a look at this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment