2020-03-29

resolving frequency differences

For the first time in the quarantine, I did some actual direct research myself. I made a Jupyter (tm) notebook in which I simulate and analyze a time-domain signal containing an asteroseismic-like forest of coherent oscillators. I then use likelihood methods to see if I can extract or infer the frequency spacing of the coherent modes. The answers are a bit messy, but I think it is possible to measure frequency differences below the “uncertainty-principle” naive limit. That is, I think we (Bonaca and me in this case, but I have also worked on this problem with Feeney, Foreman-Mackey, and others) can resolve differences well below 1/T, where T is the duration of the full set of observations. That is, I think we can do better than the usual method of taking a periodogram and looking at the distances between peaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment