2012-08-02

GALEX photons, odd quasar, etc

In MPIA Galaxy Coffee, I talked about our project to liberate all the photons GALEX has ever seen. I got lots of good comments and questions. After me, Decarli (MPIA) talked about one of the odder binary-quasar candidates that Tsalmantza and I found. The system is so odd that Rix commented that we should send it to Halton Arp: It looks like a galaxy ejecting a quasar or vice versa! As I have commented here before, our search for binary quasars has shown how rare they are: There really are no clear examples of two quasars orbiting each other at thousands (rather than hundreds) of km/s or faster. Maybe there shouldn't be such objects, but it is amazing that there really are none among the tens of thousands we have searched. In the afternoon, Weisz and I worked on some of his PDMF-fitting code.

No comments:

Post a Comment