2012-08-20

writing down my thoughts

After great conversations in Valchava, visions of sugar-plums and spike-slab priors have been dancing in my head. So I spent today (and much of the past weekend) writing furiously a couple of documents. The first is a white-paper regarding a justified probabilistic approach to radio interferometry data. This captures things my loyal reader has been reading about for the last few weeks, plus many new ideas coming from Valchava.

The second document is a white-paper regarding the possibility of calibrating the pixel-level flat-field map (that is, many millions of parameters) for an imaging camera using the science data alone (that is, no sky or dome flats). This latter project would work by looking at consistency among neighboring pixels given (and this requires assumptions) an observing program that observes without trying to put particular science objects in particular locations. One of the things I love about this project is that sky flats can be very misleading: The smooth sky illuminates the detector differently than a star does, because there are often unbaffled stray light paths and reflection paths. I have been thinking about these issues because they might be applicable to the Euclid mission, which currently plans to rely on internal LED illuminators for calibration information.

I am not sure why I write these white papers. They are a huge amount of work, and although they are great for organizing and recording my ideas, almost none of them ever results in a real publication.

1 comment:

  1. One might conclude that your revealed preferences do not rank refereed publications in the first position.

    ReplyDelete