2005-07-07

WCS bug, virtual observing

Burles found a bug in my ACS WCS code. It was ugly. I fixed it. Then I wept tears of shame.

I discussed Lockman's polemic with Schechter (who is credited with pestering) and Blanton. I think most of Lockman's general, philosophical points are correct, but his conclusions are incorrect: The fact that you need to know the folklore to be a good astronomer is a reason not to maintain the folklore system, but to change it. Of course change requires good people and money. His argument that everyone should get cozy with the raw data is a good one, but it is on a slippery slope: He insists that you must know the raw data (I agree), but he doesn't insist that you build your own correlator. Sounds like an observer (as opposed to an experimentalist) talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment