2005-11-03

no evolution beyond "closed box"

I spent a lot of today in discussions with Judy Cohen (Caltech) and Blanton. We discussed the editorial position that all the data on low and high redshift galaxies (where by high I mean z=1) is consistent with no evolution in masses, sizes, angular momenta, etc, but only evolution in stellar populations. This is the position Peebles and I both basically hold: that it has been very hard to find incontrovertible evidence that galaxies accrete or merge significantly since redshift unity. There are many conflicting results in the literature, but this just bolsters this position, in my opinion. Until recently, I had been convinced by Bell et al that the galaxies on the red sequence must be growing by mergers, but in fact this study is now in direct conflict with the new (as yet unpublished) work on larger samples by Blanton.

No comments:

Post a Comment