2006-05-26

lens finding, IR spectra

[This post is for yesterday.]

Phil Marshall, Lexi Moustakas, Chris Fassnacht (Davis), and I continued working on the automated lens finding code and paper. In the usual style, Marshall and I are pair coding.

I had an extremely pleasant lunch with Richard Ellis (Caltech) and his large (and productive) group. We discussed many things, including lensing and galaxy evolution and the intersection of the two.

Brent Buckalew (Spitzer) showed me nuclear and extra-nuclear mid-IR spectra of star-forming galaxies so I can see what to expect from our dwarf galaxies. Unfortunately, the low metallicity dwarfs in his sample show very little interesting emission, which bodes ill for us. Some of Buckalew's galaxies have strong metallicity gradients, but none strong enough that there are spectra with PAH emission at the nucleus, but without in the outskirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment