2008-08-08

computers down, PCA, redshifts

I wrote more of my PCA polemic, in part preparing myself for a possible assault on the emission lines in SDSS spectra, parallel to the PCA stuff I have been doing with Tsalmantza.

Work finishing the faint proper-motion paper has been halted by computer problems. The Astrometry.net project is trying to run as a web service, and we run the service and our project management and our source code repository all out of the same few machines. One of these machines is failing frequently, and we may have to harden substantially our web serving technology. Right now, we are running with home-built stuff and hoping for good luck, but that isn't sustainable. Anyone want to donate us some enterprise-scale uptime foo?

In other news, Bunn and I finished our comment on cosmological redshifts. Comments greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment