2018-08-24

bad development cycle is bad

My day started with a conversation with Christina Eilers (MPIA) about the Milky Way rotation curve. We found some strange kinematics points that might be messing with us, and realized that they are almost all stars at or past the Bulge, and therefore not affecting our results, which are only for Galactocentric radii greater than 5 kpc, to avoid the craziness of the bar (which violates our dynamical assumptions). Her figures are ready, so I encouraged her to write figure captions and assemble the paper.

I spent my research time getting MCMC running on my Chemical Tangents project. I have a marginalized likelihood, so all I had to do is put on priors and insert into emcee. Oh how I would have benefitted from a testing environment! When I packaged it all up for emcee I messed up the units of almost all the inputs, so I got garbage in every MCMC run. And the runs took a long time, so diagnosis was painful. Unit testing. And for units! Live and fail to learn, that's what I say.

Once everything appeared to be working, I set up some (nasty) multi-processing, set my laptop to stay awake all night, and blew processes. I should have converged samplings by morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment