2019-08-14

struggling with likelihoods

I worked more on my selection-function paper with Rix. I continued to struggle with understanding the controversy (between Loredo on one hand and various collaboration of my own on the other) about the likelihood function for a catalog. In my view, if you take a variable-rate Poisson process, and then censor it, where the censoring depends only on the individual properties of the individual objects being censored, you get a new variable-rate Poisson process with just a different rate function. If I am right, then there is at least one way of thinking about things such that the likelihood functions in the Bovy et al and Foreman-Mackey et al papers are correct. My day ended with a very valuable phone discussion of this with Foreman-Mackey. He (and I) would like to understand what is the difference in assumptions between us and Loredo.

I also worked today with Soledad Villar (NYU) to develop capstone projects for the masters program in the Center for Data Science. The Masters students do research projects, and we have lots of ideas about mashing up deep learning and astrophysics.

No comments:

Post a Comment