2019-10-15

calibrating a fiber spectrograph

I had my weekly call with Ana Bonaca (Harvard) this morning, where she updated me on our look at systematic effects in the radial-velocity measurements we are getting out of Hectochelle. We see very small velocity shifts in stellar radial velocities across the field of view that seem unlikely to be truly in the observed astrophysical stellar systems we are observing. At this point, Bonaca can show that these velocity shifts do not appear in the sky lines; that is, the calibration (with arc lamps) of the wavelengths on the detector is good.

All I have left at this point is that maybe the stars illuminate the fibers differently from the sky (and arc lamps) and this difference in illumination is transmitted to the spectrograph. I know how to test that, but it requires observing time; we can't do it in the data we have in hand right now. This is an important thing for me to figure out though, because it is related to how we commission and calibrate the fiber robot for SDSS-V. Next question: Will anyone give us observing time to check this?

No comments:

Post a Comment