2022-07-11

so much Gaia; #renameJWST

I spent the day working on ESA Gaia data, parallel to Kate Storey-Fisher (NYU). She was working on the quasar catalog and the correlation with the CMB convergence maps; I was working on estimating stellar luminosities from low-resolution spectral coefficients. We are too much in the thick of it to report how it's going yet. But stellar luminosities are hard to predict from spectra!

Late in the day I sent this letter to NASA:

I served on the US Astronomy and Astrophysics Advisory Committee (AAAC) for several years; I served on the NASA Spitzer Space Telescope Oversight Committee for many years; I served on the NASA Extragalactic Database User Committee for several years; and my research has been funded by NASA for my entire career (since I was a PhD student in the 1990s). I currently do research with HST, Kepler, TESS, 2MASS, WISE, and WMAP data, and now I'm getting ready for JWST and SPHEREx.

I am writing to say that I think it would serve NASA's interests, and the interests of NASA science especially, to rename JWST. There have been plenty of discussions of the name; it is clear that many scientists (and especially those who are part of the LBGT community or who have concerns for the LBGT community) feel disrespected by the name. I also personally think that the evidence is clear that some of the career activities of James Webb did direct harm to patriotic Americans who were gay.

I want to emphasize, however, that I think the important argument about the name goes beyond the question of any individual historical facts: The LBGT communities are of great importance to all of us. These voices must be heard, and the legitimate concerns must be addressed.

Because NASA is a forward-looking agency, and working towards a more equitable, better world, especially for people working in science and engineering in the US, I think it is time that the spacecraft be renamed. I think this could be done easily and without any trouble; many spacecraft have either officially or effectively changed names at or around first light, two examples that come immediately to mind are WMAP and Spitzer.

No comments:

Post a Comment