2022-12-12

First Science Results from JWST, day one

Today was day one of the First Science Results from JWST meeting at STScI. Today (like all days, I expect) was a barrage of information on different topics, filled with exciting results and systematic errors! I love meetings like this, because it is fun to see people struggling with data they don't quite understand yet. And I can see lots of opportunities for my interests in spectrographs and imagers to be useful in this community. My favorite talks today (unfairly!) were the talks on the instruments and their status. There are some beautiful lens-flare-like artifacts in the NIRISS instrument; that would be a fun problem (for example!). There are insane “snowball” cosmic-ray hits in the NIRSpec data, the likes of which I've never seen before. One nice thing about contemporary NASA: The plan is to make all the calibration pipelines completely open and user-operable, so it is easy to intervene on these data.

No comments:

Post a Comment