2023-05-26

how to extract XP spectra from raw Gaia data?

On the plane home from meetings at Cambridge, Warwick, and Paris, I worked on a long document I am writing for Gaia DPAC CU5, which is the organization responsible for calibrating and extracting the Gaia XP spectra. They are doing a beautiful self-calibration to extract all the spectra on the same system, in the sense of resolution, dispersion, and throughput. But their system has some pathologies, which we discussed last week. I think I know how to solve some of them. My document is reporting those thoughts.

Writing like this reminds me of graduate school: One of my advisors (Blandford) often encouraged me to write up thoughts, ideas, projects, and proposals, even when we had no intention of submitting them anywhere. It's good practice, I think, because you can't understand anything if you don't write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment