2005-10-31

classical collisions, GALEX/FUV

Neal continued his lunch school on "beyond the standard model". I learned something.

I demonstrated (to myself) the (obvious, apparently) fact that when two hard spheres collide elastically in three-space, the cosine of the angle between the incoming and outgoing momenta for each particle has a flat probability distribution function in the center-of-mass frame. Don't ask me why I did this.

Fiddled with some other astrometry issues, and Schiminovich corrected me (quite correctly) that he didn't say we wouldn't be able to solve the GALEX astrometry blind, he said that he would be impressed if we solved the GALEX/FUV astrometry blind, with no help from the NUV channel. And he said that would be useful to boot. He threw down a serious gauntlet today; we expect to pick it up (soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment