2006-03-08

astrometric standards data, visualizations

I moved SDSS and USNO-B1.0 astrometric standards information onto the disks of astrometry.net today, in order to get our tweak stuff up and running for our alpha release.

I made two visualizations in my spare time, this slideshow zoom (PDF) out from M51 to the whole celestial sphere to demonstrate the enormity of the SDSS dataset. I also made this animated GIF (below) of just the celestial sphere itself. In both visualizations, the over-plotted stars are from the Bright Star Catalog.

3 comments:

  1. I backed up that animated GIF on a floppy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kurt, I have been keeping all your comments to my blog backed up on the back of an NYU interdepartmental envelope in the second drawer of my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I save that spinning universe as desktop wallpaper?

    ReplyDelete