2006-03-01

FITS files, astrometry failure rates, Zolotov

We (read: Lang and Mierle) continued to work on failure rates in the blind astrometry of SDSS fields. The index with fewer re-used stars helped in some respects and hurt in others. I started re-reading the USNO-B1.0 catalog (and, in the process, realized that previously I have been reading the USNO-A2.0 catalog, duh!) to make a deeper catalog for them.

I am also converting the entire USNO-B1.0 catalog into FITS binary table files. These are smart, self-documenting binary files in use by the astronomical community. If anyone out there wants USNO-B1.0 converted to 256x12 FITS files (one for each pixel in an nside=16 healpix grid), just let me know!

I spoke with Adi Zolotov about possible projects; she is another probable new member of the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment