2019-01-04

refereeing, selecting, and planning

I don't think I have done good job of writing the rules for this blog, because I don't get to count refereeing. Really, refereeing papers is a big job and it really is research, since it sometimes involves a lot of literature work or calculation. I worked on some refereeing projects today for a large part of the day. Not research? Hmmm.

Also not counting as research: I worked on the Gaia Sprint participant selection. This is a hard problem because everyone who applied would be a good participant! As part of this, I worked on demographic statistics of the applicant pool and the possibly selected participants. I hope to be sending out emails next week (apologies to those who are waiting for us to respond!).

Late in the day I had a nice conversation with Stephen Feeney (Flatiron) about his upcoming seminar at Toronto. How do different aspects of data analysis relate? And how do the different scientific targets of that data analysis relate? And how to tell the audience what they want to know about the science, the methods, and the speaker. I am a big believer that a talk you give should communicate things about yourself and not just the Universe. Papers are about the Universe, talks are about you. That's why we invited you!

No comments:

Post a Comment