2021-02-24

constructing a bilinear dictionary method for light curves

After having many conversations with Gaby Contardo (Flatiron) and Christina Hedges (Ames) about finding events of various kinds in stellar light curves (from NASA Kepler and TESS), I was reminded of dictionary methods, or sparse-coding methods. So I spent some time writing down a possible sparse-coding approach for Kepler light curves, and even a bit of time writing some code. But I think we probably want something more general than the kind of bilinear problem I find it easy to write down: I am imagining a set of words, and a set of occurrences (and amplitudes) of those words in the time domain. But real events will have other parameters (shape and duration parameters), which suggests using more nonlinear methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment