2021-02-03

reimplementing The Cannon

One of the things I say over and over in my group is: We build software, but every piece of software itself is not that valuable: Our software is valuable because it encodes good ideas and good practices for data analysis. In that spirit, I re-wrote The Cannon (Ness et al 2015) in an hour today in a Google (tm) Colab notebook. It's only ten-ish lines of active code! And ten more of comments. The Cannon is not a software package; it is a set of ideas. And my reimplementation has way more stable linear algebra than any previous version I've seen (because I've learned so much about this in the last few years, with help from Soledad Villar). I did the Cannon reimplementation for Teresa Huang (JHU), who is finding adversarial attacks against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment