2021-04-05

is the simulation hypothesis a physics question?

Against my better judgement, I am writing a paper on the question of whether we live inside a computer simulation. Today I was discussing this with Paula Seraphim (NYU), who has been doing research with me on this subject. We decided to re-scope the paper around the question “Is the simulation hypothesis a physics question?” instead of the direct question “Do we live in a simulation?”, which can't be answered very satisfactorily. But I think when you flow it down, you conclude that this question is, indeed, a physics question! And the simulation hypothesis motivates searches for new physics in much the same way that the dark matter and inflation do: The predictions are not specific, but there are general signatures to look for.

No comments:

Post a Comment