2021-04-26

the theory is a grid

I had a great conversation with Andy Casey (Monash) at the end of the day. We discussed many things related to APOGEE and SDSS-V. One of the things I need is the code that makes the synthetic (physical model) spectra for the purposes of obtaining parameter estimates in APOGEE and the derivatives of that model with respect to stellar parameters. That is, I want the physical-model derivatives of spectral expectation with respect to parameters (like temperature, surface gravity, and composition). It turns out that, at this point, the model is a set of synthetic spectra generated on a grid in parameter space! So the model is the grid, and the derivatives are the slopes of a cubic-spline interpolation (or something like that). I have various issues with this, but I'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment